Pilgrimage Church of the Annunciation and the Cistercian Abbey
1710, 1720 - 1764, new building; investors – Abbots of Cistercian Monastery in Plasy
As it was one of the richest ecclesiastical establishments in Bohemia, the monastery in Plasy was able to use Santini’s skills to a great extent. The commemorative writing from 1710 featured a project approval of the Pilgrimage Church of the Annunciation, including an ambulatory and provost in Marianska Tynice. The construction itself progressed very slowly. By the time Abbot Tyttl died, the western cloister courtyard was completed and the perimeter walls were built. The church itself was consecrated in 1762. After the disestablishment of the monastery in Plasy in 1784, the entire area in Marianska Tynice was neglected for almost 150 years. In 1920, the dome and vaults of the church were severely dilapidated and finally collapsed. The Association for the rescue of Marianska Tynice gradually repaired the cloisters and put a temporary roof on the church. The main dome of the temple was rebuilt in 2005. The construction of the church is based on the shape of a Greek cross. There is a distinctive dome above the axis. Adjacent naves are covered with mansard roofs. The western cloister courtyard is complemented with corner chapels. Their ground plan is based on a hexagon and they are covered with segmental sail vaults. The entire structure of the church and provost gives an impression of isolation, situated in an open landscape that evokes harmony. It is a brilliant example of Santini’s comprehensive conceptual work.